Friday, October 18, 2013

Review: Hugo Naturals Lip Balm (Grapefruit) and Bee Friendly Citrus Natural Lip Balm


I decided to lump these into one post because they were the only two beeswax-free lip balms I could find at my local Whole Foods. I really pined for scented balms and these were the only scented balms I could find that I didn't need to order off the internet. Therefore they were the first scented beeswax-free lip balms I tried.

(Like before, I bought these, but came home and Googled to make sure they were beeswax-free. The Bee Friendly says so right on the label, but you know!)

It's unfair to compare these two things; it's unfair to compare any two lip balms, I think, as everyone has their own preferences for how slick or thick they like 'em, what is unpleasant versus pleasant in a scent, et cetera. But these are my thoughts. One does the job, and one doesn't.

Bee Friendly Citrus smells lovely, lemony and fresh. It is not flavored. It's a very, very thin balm. Possibly the thinnest I've ever tried! It doesn't seem very buildable. To my dismay, this disappears off my lips in about two minutes, if that. I don't know where it goes so unbelievably fast, since I'm not licking my lips. Does it just evaporate?? What a mystery. This is something I won't repurchase. I keep it in my purse, along with one of the Blistex Simple and Sensitives and another balm that rotates around. I can use this until it's gone, but it does nothing for me except provide momentary relief. For me it comes down to whether I want something that will stick or if I don't mind an extremely temporary touch-up. I believe this was $3.

Hugo Naturals Lip Balm in Grapefruit is the balm that became my go-to in the first several months I was beeswax-free, and is one I still enjoy even though I have many others to choose from now. Its smell is very sharp -- very grapefruit! If you're like me and you're accustomed to the fakey (yet delicious) scents of Bonne Bell products, the scent of this might stun you at first or come across as sour. But if you like the smell of grapefruit, this pulls no punches and doesn't sugar that sour scent up at all. Now that I'm used to it, I love the strong, real grapefruit smell.

This is a balm that is thicker and more like what I'm accustomed to in a more ordinary lip balm. In the tube, it can sometimes be grainy (I've discovered this of many balms that use candelilla wax), but I find that I don't mind this and in fact would prefer it to a slick, smooth balm that doesn't last at all. This one lasts on me, and that matters. It's buildable, too. I've used it up almost entirely; I would have by now if I hadn't been actively seeking out more balms to try. At about $3.50, the price is comparable to most any other lip balm, so I would definitely repurchase it.

I would love it if Hugo's range had more flavors. The only other ones I see on the site are Pineapple & Coconut and Vanilla & Sweet Orange, and none of these are flavors that I like!

TL;DR: Bee Friendly Citrus evaporates shockingly quickly; it's not worth buying, in my opinion. Hugo Naturals Lip Balm in Grapefruit smells strong, but sticks around effectively. If you're like me and want to pick up a lip balm at the grocery store, this is one I would recommend.

No comments:

Post a Comment